A SAMPLE GALLERY
The Executive Secretary
The Human Resources Department
Various places in the research departments
Here a very glad new LINUX incomer from the Mycology dpt !
The Computer Room :
simply some good clones and a dual shared console...
The projection for the end of the year 2000 :
- LINUX will replace every NOVELL and UnixWare servers (only one left in february);
- LINUX begins to creep efficiently at the work place : nearly half of the users will be using LINUX;
- The recurrent problems of file incompatibilities (MSWORD-6, MSWORD-97, MSWORD-2000...) and the dependance to the MS rule will be cured by the new OFFICE environments (Applix, StarOffice, Koffice, Gnome AbiWord, CorelOffice).
If and only if they switch to an OPEN standard (XML, or XHTML ?)
- All the needed applications for the day-to-day work are at hand, with a lot more !
- Quickly, our users are pleased by the migration, after one day or two of disorientation.
- the learning curve is very steep : the main problems are produced by an immature installation (network printing, rights...), nothing due to the end-user.
- the environment change really does not perturb the users; in fact they are already used to deal with windows and buttons...
- the gain in robustness and versatility of the new environment seems more important.
- but it is possible to meet some misunderstanding,
... or even some irreducibility ;-)
- the lesson : it is better to invest into good-willing people than to fight irrational ideas.
The long term solution :
The high automation ability of Linux will allow us to install and configure automatically a full distribution.
In fact, it was already done with the bootprom procedure, but we want to become independant from the dedicated hardware and to perform the automated installation completely with software scripts.